Chiropractic Care for Pinched Nerves in Irvine
Nerve compression can be an uncomfortable and debilitating condition, and if left untreated, permanent nerve damage may occur. Dr. Gary Martin is a chiropractor in Irvine CA who provides non-invasive and individualized chiropractic care for a wide range of people struggling with pinched nerves.
How Pinched Nerves Occur
Pinched nerves occur when something compresses against any part of a nerve, leading to damage and inflammation. Frequent structures involved include herniated or bulging discs, altered joint spaces (often due to spinal misalignments, degenerative disc disease, stenosis, or osteoarthritis), injured muscles, bone spurs, and more rarely tumors. Your risk for developing one of these conditions can include repetitive and cumulative stress, a history of injury, poor posture, acute trauma (e.g., car accident, personal injury, sports injury), and even genetics.
Common locations for pinched nerves throughout the body include:
- In the spine (cervical, lumbar, or thoracic radiculopathy; sciatica)
- In the shoulder (brachial plexus injury)
- In the elbow (cubital tunnel syndrome)
- In the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome)
- In the hip (piriformis syndrome)
- In the lower leg (peroneal nerve syndrome)
Signs and Symptoms of Pinched Nerves
Nerves travel throughout the body and provide motor and sensory information to various tissues. Much like a felled telephone wire, a pinched nerve can cause dysfunction and problems far away from the original source of its injury. This is why a pinched nerve root in the spine can lead to issues like numbness, tingling, weakness, "pins and needles," and pain in an arm, leg, hand, or foot. Pain caused by pinched nerves often feels searing, burning, shooting, or stabbing. Additionally, a person may notice abnormal reflexes or an inability to move a certain body part (e.g., drop foot).
How Our Irvine Chiropractor Treats Pinched Nerves
Dr. Martin can reduce pressure on your pinched nerves and facilitate healing and symptom resolution using completely natural and holistic techniques. For example:
- Chiropractic adjustments, massage, and spinal decompression trigger pain relief and realign joints, improve nerve function, and reduce swelling. Spinal decompression also helps retract injured discs back into their normal alignment, taking them off the nerves and facilitating disc healing.
- Cold laser therapy uses non-thermal light beams to accelerate cellular metabolism and repair, enhance local blood flow, and reduce pain.
- Corrective exercises can restore the strength of affected muscles and maintain optimal joint stability and alignment.
Lastly, Dr. Martin can assess and improve your posture, ergonomics, and even nutrition to promote continued nerve healing and integrity.
Wondering If Your Dysfunction is Caused by A Pinched Nerve? Contact Our Chiropractor in Irvine Today
If you believe you're currently dealing with pinched nerves, contact Dr. Gary Martin today at (949) 559-7999 to schedule an appointment.